Monday, May 2, 2011

Blogging about Quilting

So.... I've been really bad about posting. Between my posts on Facebook and About.com, I post every day, and I forget this blog. It was my intention to post about what I am working on. The first post was actually an audition piece for About.com to become their writer for machine quilting (alas, I didn't make it through the first round!).

In the spirit of this blog's intention, I'll mention what I've been working on.

Last weekend, I finally started putting together the green quilt. This is a quilt for which I asked everyone I know to send me green fabrics. The quilt is a pattern by Bonnie Hunter (My Blue Heaven) and was made for Joe's daughter Claire for her 22nd birthday. When I finally got around to sewing all the blocks together, it quickly became evident that this would be a ginormous quilt, so I decided to only use half the blocks and make two quilts.

Here is the finished product:

It has more than 200 green fabrics in it. Claire loved it.

I went downstairs to the studio last night to work on the second quilt only to find that one of my kitties had peed on the remaining blocks (yep... I can be a neglectful cat mom and forget to change the litter box and then they pee on something). Luckily, I am an expert in washing cat pee out of things, so I washed the blocks and you'd never know now. But, in the meantime, I hauled out the one quilt top I didn't finish at the AZ retreat in Feb. I was working on it the last day when I realized that hadn't cut enough fabric to finish the last two blocks.

So, last night, I took everything out, found the instructions, and cut the fabric I needed to finish the last two blocks. Then, I started putting together the quilt... and realized that I HAD made enough of block 4 (the quilt has 4 block styles), but that I had put them in the pile with Block 1 <sigh>. I now have two extra blocks. I got about 3/4 of the top put together.

I have a busy week this week with school stuff so I'm not sure how much quilting I'll get done (and I have school in person on Friday and Saturday and Mother's Day with Joe's Mom in Philly on Sunday), but I also need to get two Round Robin rows done this week! Yikes! Sure wish I didn't have to work!

~Patti

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patti,
    We have more in common than the "have to trim the top" style of sewing. I have Devon Rex cats that I have to keep out of my sewing room for obvious reasons. I never finish a quilt without cat/dog hair, and/or other animal bi-products... sewn in with love.
    I love the quilt of greens. Absolutely lovely!
    :-)
    Danel
    http://lenad63.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete