Monday, August 29, 2011

Ray's quilt

Well, Hurricane Irene wasn't anything at our house, so I spent the weekend quilting and working on my Website (and doing homework). My neighbor, Ray, died almost two years ago, and I promised his widow I would make a quilt from his old work clothes. It took us a while to get together and for her to give me the clothes, and then it took longer for me to decide what to do with them. But, a friend on About.com posted a photo of a similar quilt, and I got my inspiration! A couple of weeks ago, I washed all the ties (20 of them) and took them apart. On Saturday, I pieced the blocks for the top. My friend Vicki came to visit and offer advice. Late Saturday night, I was stuck on two items: which fabric to use for the centers and whether to sash it. I laid the blocks on the floor:



Joe suggested using the leftover shirt fabric as centers, and Vicki suggested sashing. I pulled a paisley print from my stash for the sashing. Here's the finished top:



I spent the rest of yesterday using the other shirts to piece the back. I hope to get it quilted this weekend. I still miss Ray... he would have made sure we were all safe during the Hurricane that wasn't.

~Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment